Wednesday, September 14, 2011

During an oil change, How do I know how much to put in?

I want to change the oil on my girlfriends 2001 Nissan Altima, but I have no idea how much to add. My truck says in the booklet that comes with it, but her book doesn't say.I'm stuck.During an oil change, How do I know how much to put in?Typically it's 4 Quarts for a 4 - 6 cylinder and 5 Quarts for an 8 Cylinder. Just put in once Quart at a time until the dipstick show full if you are unsure.During an oil change, How do I know how much to put in?ask a professional, or guesstimate by looking at how much came out, start out with less than you know it needs then add a little at a time until its right, dont overfillDuring an oil change, How do I know how much to put in?The altima takes 4 2/5 quarts 5W30 oil without the filter, probably about 4.5 quarts with the filter.During an oil change, How do I know how much to put in?HI

all ways change the oil filter or you well leave 1 qt of dirty oil in the system.

1) drain oil

2) change filter

3) add 4 qts of oil 5W/30W

4) start motor... watch for leaks under and around the motor and oil filter.

5) shut motor off and check dip stick to see if it needs more oil.

6) don't over fill it

good luck

tim