Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How Do I Change the oil for my car?

I have a 1990 ford Taurus with about 47,600 miles on it and its over due for an oil change, although oil changes are about 15 dollars, i would still like to save up that money instead of flushing it. So how do i change the oil, a simple step by step would be awesome, thanks a ton for any help.How Do I Change the oil for my car?$15 is just for oil and the filter... that's what it costs if YOU change it. Shops usually charge $30-40 to change your oil.



1. Remove drain plug from oil pan and let all the oil drain out.

2. Remove oil filter (may need a special wrench to do this).

3. Take the new filter and coat the rubber seal with new oil.

4. Install new oil filter.

5. Put drain plug back into oil pan. Snug it up, but do not overtighten.

6. Find out where to put the oil, then put the required amount of oil (often 4.5 quarts) for your particular vehicle.

7. Check oil to make sure it's up to the right level.



And that's pretty much it!How Do I Change the oil for my car?If you can get your oil changed for $15, then just have them do it. You can't do it any cheaper.



But if you really want to, then jack up the car, put a jack stand under it, pull the plug on the oil pan and drain it into a pan and unscrew the oil filter and screw on a new one and tighten it up and the plug too and put new oil back in.



Cheapest oil change in my area is $30, plus about $3 for the stupid environmental fee tax.How Do I Change the oil for my car?Sounds like everyone has given you good advice, but do you have tools? ramps to drive the car up on or a jack with jack stands,a oil drain pan,and a oil filter wrench. This will add to your cost on the first time,but they will last almost forever if you take care of them. If you do go ahead be-careful and don't over tighten the drain plug you can strip the treads. Just hand tighten the oil filter or it may be real hard to get off next time. Good luckHow Do I Change the oil for my car?You are better off just having it done at an oil change place. For safety, you'll need jack stands, and you'll have to buy the filter and the oil anyway.



If you are really set on this, then have a friend that has experience and have him show you how to do it correct.



good luck with it.How Do I Change the oil for my car?warm engine to operating temp. locate oil pan drain plug place drain pan under plug loosen and remove existing oil will drain into pan remove oil fill cap to releave vacuum \. when oil stops draining locate oil filter using oil filter wrench remove old filter replace with new appropiate filter before install place small amount of new oil on rubber ring on new filter tighten by hand then use wrench to slightly tighten abit more replace drain plug on oil pan fill oil thru oil cap in engine compartmentHow Do I Change the oil for my car?To add to what everyone else said, make sure the rubber gasket comes off with the old filter. If it stays on the car and you put the new filter on, you will most likely get a leak.How Do I Change the oil for my car?In addition to the above suggestions, keep in mind that you'll have to dispose of the used oil and filter. In my area, Auto Zone will take the old oil (up to 5 gallons) for free. I don't know about the filter, though.How Do I Change the oil for my car?I believe you'd remove the drain plug, drain the oil in a pan, change the filter, and add new oil, just a guess.How Do I Change the oil for my car?first off if you have to ask how to change your oil you probaly shouldent change it your self and you cant do it for $15 yourselfHow Do I Change the oil for my car?just have them do it some one has to show you how to change your oil
  • structuretoptr
  • row cell
  •