Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How often do you change needles, and oil and clean your machine?

I'm curious, especially among the experienced sewers out there. How much do you use your machine (hours per week/month, whatever) and how often do you oil it and/or clean it yourself? How often do you take it in for service?



I'm wondering because I'm reading the official guidelines about oiling, cleaning and service, and I'm wondering if anyone really follows them? Do you really change your needle after every project? If yes to all of the above, do you notice a difference?



Thanks!How often do you change needles, and oil and clean your machine?I change the needle when I need to -- i.e., when it's bent or dulled, or when I'm using a different type of fabric than the one the needle was made for.



I oil and dust inside my machine after every 6-8 hours of use. I should also dust inside it when it's been sitting idle for a month or more, but rarely remember to do that one.



The machine runs much more quietly when properly cleaned and oiled. I don't take it in for service at all, but have learned to do some of the adjustments myself.How often do you change needles, and oil and clean your machine?You need to refer to the manual for your type of machine re: oiling. I have a Bernina and it rarely if ever needs oiling. It has never needed to be serviced. You do need to remove the dust and any thread from under the needle and shuttle area on a regular basis.( I use a whisk especially made for this purpose) I change needles when needed but always change to a ballpoint or universal when sewing knits.

I don't sew as often as I would like to but more for repairs and hemming.

I have added a link that I keep on my favourites as it is very useful to refer to.How often do you change needles, and oil and clean your machine?When changing your needles-it depends on what you are sewing. Not all needles work on all fabrics. since I quilt more than sewing clothes I change my needle after every project. (the rule of thumb is every 8 hours). I also recommend that you make sure the thread you use is right for the needle. I do not oil my machine. I do try to clean my machine (lint,thread, dust) after I have finished sewing my quilt top together. I have a small paint brush that I use for that. I know my machine is 40 years old and still going. I have only had to change the foot pedal and that's the only time I took the machine in for service. If I am sewing or repairing clothes I use a different needle than for quilting. That's because of the fabrics. I use mostly in-betweens.How often do you change needles, and oil and clean your machine?My machine is from about 1986. I got it in 1987 and I've never had it serviced. Every now and then I blow out and/or brush out the dust inside the bobbin area. I also change needles if necessary. For general purposes I keep a lightweight (size 11) ball point needle in there. It works on most everything. I don't sew all the time, but I have sewn a lot on that machine. It's a very basic Husqvarna. Come to think of it, the last time I used it, the reverse button was sticking. I might have to get it serviced. Oddly enough my 16 year old car is in the shop right now getting it's first huge repair. Things are falling apart around here!How often do you change needles, and oil and clean your machine?Yes. It makes a difference! I'm really bad about oiling, cleaning, and changing needles. I usually do it when it's bad enough that I notice that I forgot to do it earlier. Then the machine just sings again! I wish I had a better memory, but I'm usually too involved in the project to remember.How often do you change needles, and oil and clean your machine?I change my needle often and I change it if I am doing another kind of fabric. You don't want to use the same kind of needle for woven cotton as you do for a knit.

My machine does not require oiling. I try to service it once every 3 years, which is longer than recommended.

My Viking machine is over 10 years old and working like a charm