Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do you change the oil on a Honda Elite 80, and what kind of oil should I use?

I have a 1986 Honda Elite 80, and the red light has come on again. I know where to empty the oil, but I don't know:



1) What type of oil should i use? (weather is always 40 to 75 degrees where I live)



2) Do i just empty the oil and refill, or is there something else that needs to be done, like cleaning a filter?



3) How do i get the switch to go back to green once i change the oil. The last time I changed the oil, it stayed on red.



Thanks.How do you change the oil on a Honda Elite 80, and what kind of oil should I use?Hi. Honda GN4 oil in 10w30 weight should be fine. 10w40 would be ok too. Put the scooter on the center stand, remove the drain plug, allow to drain (use a drain pan), replace plug, fill with oil. I don't know what the correct amount of oil is, so pour in 1/2 quart and check level. Set the dipstick on the threads- do not screw in to check. Add a small amount at a time until oil is on the dipstick. For the change light, there should be a slot just under the speedometer big enough for the ignition key to fit. Insert the key and watch the color change from red to green. Hope this helps.How do you change the oil on a Honda Elite 80, and what kind of oil should I use?check out this scooter oil: http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=14