Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change the oil in my 1989 bayliner 2152?

I need to change the oil in my bayliner and do not know how. Also, what type of oil should I put in it? ThanksHow do I change the oil in my 1989 bayliner 2152?The old debate, change it hot or cold. Lets see, hot, oil is at the upper parts of the motor, not drained back to the pan, causes you to possibly burn yourself trying to get the hot oil filter off. Sure its a littler easier to pump out. Cold, all the oil is at the bottom of the pan, you don't get burned trying the remove the oil filter, the oil suspends any dirt that might be floating around, the filter gets most of it any way and the filter will not be as full, less spillage. I prefer cold.

You can get a hand pump that attaches to the dipstick and does a nice job, pumps it right into a container for you to take to a recycle place. Do NOT drain into the bilge, what a mess.

Use a Mercruiser filter and the 25w 40 oil.



Ignore the paper thin hull, you have a nice boat, built better than most.How do I change the oil in my 1989 bayliner 2152?take the screw off the oil pan, then you change the oil filter, fill with new oil. standard oil should be fine. but you may want to add something to the oil due to the age of the car, long life treatment.How do I change the oil in my 1989 bayliner 2152?There is a pump that screws onto where you put the dipstick.



After you have run the boat is the best time to do it while the engine while it is still warm.

Then change the filter.How do I change the oil in my 1989 bayliner 2152?Be careful with that boat.



Bayliners have paper thin hulls.