Friday, June 3, 2011

What can I do about a faulty oil change?

I just got an oil change on my van at Wal-Mart. The van was driving with no problem before then, but now the engine's revving up on it's own and not even pushing the van. There's a slight possibility that there was something else wrong with it, but considering the way it's been driving before then, I doubt it. How can I prove that it was the fault of the automotive techs at Wal-Mart and receive compensation for repairs and legal fees if the case needs to be taken to court?What can I do about a faulty oil change?It depends on the state you are in. In Michigan you are suppose to try to settle any dispute with the repair facility, if a conclusion cannot be made there, there is a department of the Secretary of State that will arbitrate a settlement. My answer is go back to Walmart and if they don't make it right then go to the Secretary of State or its equivalent in your state and register a complaintWhat can I do about a faulty oil change?Unless you have no oil at all, none of your symptoms would be due to an oil change!



Sounds like you have a transmission issue!What can I do about a faulty oil change?Never go to Wal-mart again. They ****-up tons of cars.What can I do about a faulty oil change?your problem has nothing to do with the oil change. You might check the spring return on the accelerator to see if it is broken but that still has nothing to do with oil change.What can I do about a faulty oil change?You can't. First of all, there is no indication that what Walmart employees did is responsible for your van running poorly. An oil change is pretty straight-forward, so I doubt this is when something happened.



And in all honesty, you can't even change your own oil, if you were to go to a judge or a lawyer with this claim, they'd ask how you know, especially if you're not mechanically inclined. It's going to take more than a hunch and a coincidence to convince someone Walmart is responsible.What can I do about a faulty oil change?You don't give the age of your van ... does it have an APP (Accelerator pedal position) sensor?



I see alot of cars in my job at [a nationally known rental agency] and the symptoms you describe have come up a couple of times, in both cases it was this sensor.



It might just be that the oil change was a coincidence! Wal-Mart may not be the problem! Have your mechanic give your van the once over, including computer diagnostics (keep the receipt, just in case I'm wrong) if the sensor is there (and bad) have it changed and see if the problem goes away!What can I do about a faulty oil change?Oil change problem is unlikely -- have it checked out by a mechanic.