Friday, June 3, 2011

How much over can I go (in mileage) before really needing an oil change?

The sticker on my car (from my last oil change) says to get my next change at 14,732 miles. How many over that can I go that is still safe for my car? I plan on going a couple hundred miles over that before I get my oil changed, but want to make sure it won't cause any damage.How much over can I go (in mileage) before really needing an oil change?Most manufacturers recommend an oil change every 3000 miles.



I tend to change mine every 5000, but the most important thing is to make sure to check your oil to make sure it isn't low - old oil won't hurt your engine much, but low oil can destroy it.



When you check the oil, take note of the color - fresh oil is kind of a golden color, while worn out oil starts to get blacker and blacker.



A few hundred miles won't make much difference, but you should defniitely not exceed 5000 unless you want to pay to have your engine rebuilt or replaced.How much over can I go (in mileage) before really needing an oil change?If you use an AMSOIL filter with AMSOIL, you can go a good 1 year or 25,000 miles before a change.



http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/defaultHow much over can I go (in mileage) before really needing an oil change?A couple hundred over is not going to hurt anything, just keep an eye on the level.How much over can I go (in mileage) before really needing an oil change?newer cars have longer intervals.

but, if you have a new car, you may want to only go 3k miles or so, for the first few times, until the motor is broken in.

it should pay you in a motor that lasts longer.



however, at this point, a hundred miles or so isn't a big problem.

i have 60k miles, and have switched to synthetic.

but i didn't do that right away.

i try to change it every 5-7k miles, but i think that synthetic offers me more leeway.How much over can I go (in mileage) before really needing an oil change?3000 is just a recommendation. However, it can be more costly to wait than to pay 30 bucks for an oil change.



I take it that you are not mechanically inclined. If you were, you could wait until the oils viscosity had worn down. This involves checking you oil regularly, knowing what the proper viscosity (lubrication) is and whether or not you are burning oil.



My advice to you is not go more than a thousand max over what the sticker says.How much over can I go (in mileage) before really needing an oil change?I bought a 2004 Honda Civic a few years ago and the owner's manual says to change the oil every 5,000 miles, not 3,000 like Jiffy Lube would like you to believe.How much over can I go (in mileage) before really needing an oil change?Realistically, you can safely change your car's oil every 4000 to 5000 miles, as long as you have enough oil in your engine. It also depends on your driving habits and where you live. Driving on dusty roads, you will change your oil more frequently. Alot of stop and go driving, every 4000 miles. Check your owners manual.How much over can I go (in mileage) before really needing an oil change?I agree with PRDVL. Go with AMSOIL synthetic. You change the oil and filter, then 12,500mi into it, put on a new filter and add another quart of oil. Who has time to do all thos oil changes, much less take it into a service center 4 to 7 times a year or more?How much over can I go (in mileage) before really needing an oil change?a couple hundred over is not a big deal. Typicall you want to stay within 1,000 miles of needing an oil change. Some cars say 5,000, other 3,000. My friends BMW goes 15,000, but uses 7 quarts of oil and two filters.



A few hundred you will be fine.How much over can I go (in mileage) before really needing an oil change?You can go as far as you need as long as you have enough oil. The stickers just give you a reminder that it needs done, it shouldn't cause any damage, although I generally don't make it a habit of going more than one thousand miles over the recommendedHow much over can I go (in mileage) before really needing an oil change?with only 14k miles, I assume its a new car. Newer cars usually can go longer without needing oil changed. so it depends on if the last oilchange was at 9k or at 11k. most newer cars suggest 5k oil changes, while older ones suggest 3k. If your sticker is a reminder for a 3k, then you def can go over the limit. But in the whole scheme of things, a few hundred miles isn't going to be a big deal. you should be ok.