Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How often should I get an oil change?

I am planning to buy a used red 1998 Ford Mustang in case that helpsHow often should I get an oil change?once a weekHow often should I get an oil change?reg oil 3K synthetic 7500How often should I get an oil change?regular oil 2500~3000 miles

full synthetic 3500~4500 miles



it doesn't matter what kind of car or engine...you change your oil when it's needed to be changed when it's dirty (check dip stick) or when the mileage is met



remember to change your oil filter with each oil change as wellHow often should I get an oil change?It depends on the nature of the driving, time and type of oil.

Some oils are designed for 3000 miles while others are for 7000 and yet others 15000 miles.

If you use regular oil, 3000 miles is the norm. 5000 miles is the upper limit as far as I am consumed.

Then there is time, oil additives break down with time also, I change the oil if it has been in the car for six months regardless of mileage. Unless it is synthetic, in which if it is over a year old I replace it, at least before starting.

One thing that you have not asked is about the filter. A lot of cars are using smaller filters now. While the oil may still be good the filter may be past the limits of its life and be plugged. Even with 15000 mile oil, I change the filter every 3 to 5 K depending on how the oil looks.How often should I get an oil change?Not to dodge your question but in 1998 Ford recommended 5,000 mile oil changes.



Here's what I've done in the past with my Sable and Taurus which both call for 5W-30. I suspect your Mustang also calls for the same viscosity grade oil. These two cars are my town and winter beaters so they see very few sustained high speed hot trip driving. I change the regular mineral oil every 3,500 - 4,000 miles. If you chose to use something like full synthetic Mobil1 you could very safely stretch the mileage to the maximum factory 5,000 mile recommendation.



Forget partial or semi-synthetic motor oil. No oil company tells the public the exact % of synthetic oil that's in the can. Use name brands such as Mobil, Havoline, Quaker State, Valvoline, Motorcraft and Brad Penn. Use the following oil filters: Motorcraft, (made by Purolator) Wix, AC-Delco, Purolator. NAPA (made by Wix) or Carquest's best (made by Wix).